A short excerpt from Chapter 1 of AA Milne's Winni-the-Pooh, for fun.
Etta Winni-i-Pú méne nilmorya Hristofer Rowinna, ye háre kata laika fende i taureo exa astasse.
‘Már’ arin, Hristofer Rowin’ quentes.
‘Már’ arin, Winni-i-Pú,’ quentel.
‘Náto, telkontala sira quenten imnin: ‘Keþula nán ké Hristofer Rowin same taite engwe ve pusulpe asisse?’ rie quentenyes imnin, sanala pá pusulpi, *sassánala3.’
‘Manan mauya lyen i pusulpe?’ maquentel.
‘Mal quenen lá eke tuve lisse pusulpínen!’
‘Eke nin,’ Pú quente.
Tá, tambe tulles7 sa i noa aures meniélanel merendenna nilmolya *Níkapolko8 koasse, ar sámelle pusulpi i merendesse. Elye same alta laika pusulpe, ar mine i Lopo onórion sáme alta luine ar hehtanesses, an *aimanen nése amnessa mene merendenna; etta koliélanel i laika ar i luine mardenna.
So Winnie-the-Pooh went round to his friend Christopher Robin, who lived behind a green door in another part of the forest.
“Good morning, Christopher Robin,” he said.
“Good morning, Winnie-ther-Pooh,” said you.
“I wonder if you’ve got such a thing as a balloon about you?”
“Yes, I just said to myself coming along: ‘I wonder if Christopher Robin has such a thing as a balloon about him?’I just said it to myself, thinking of balloons, and wondering.”
“What do you want a balloon for?” you said.
Winnie-the-Pooh looked round to see that nobody was listening, put his paw to his mouth, and said in a deep whisper: “Honey!”
“But you don’t get honey with balloons!”
“I do,” said Pooh.
Well, it just happened that you had been to a party the day before at the house of your friend Piglet, and you had balloons at the party.You had had a big green balloon; and one of Rabbit’s relations had had a big blue one, and had left it behind, being really too young to go to a party at all; and so you had brought the green one and the blue one home with you.
- 1. or, possibly, kestaite, see my list here (entry KES): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xbLzMKYbv25bvDSXWzSSDMmDK9vcUUp…
- 2. https://eldamo.org/content/words/word-3400746143.html
- 3. "keep on thinking, pondering, wondering"
- 4. "so that"
- 5. "put, place"
- 6. "animal's foot, paw" https://eldamo.org/content/words/word-275211459.html
- 7. "so it came [to pass], so it happened"
- 8. adding the diminutive -inke to a noun ending in a vowel is a grey area so I tried to solve it by adding it as a prefix