1.221 Peak, Summit
- Q. Ambar, n. “The World, Earth, (lit.) Habitation, Settlement”
The word Ambar is probably the most common Quenya word for the “World”. Its more literal meaning is “Habitation” (MR/337; NM/226) or “Settlement” (PE17/163) in the sense that it is the realm in which the children of Eru (Elves and Men) live. A clear description of this notion can be found in notes from late 1960s:
Since I have wrapped up my series on “Select Primitive Elvish Roots”, I am starting a new series on “Select Elvish Words”. This series is for the next major phase of Eldamo’s development: dictionary entries for Elvish words. My plan is to discuss the meanings, etymologies, and conceptual development of various Elvish words, as well as their possible uses in Neo-Elvish.
See eldamo.org. Updates for this release:
- Added information from The Nature of Middle Earth.
- Finished dictionary entries for Primitive Elvish roots: √N - √YUR.
- Add semantic category link to word pages.
- Finished semantic categorization of Sindarin/Noldorin/Gnomish.
- Edited and reviewed Quenya semantic categories.